Learn how to get a badge
Since 100% of your score in obtaining a firefighter
job is in the oral board, what are you missing that's keeping you from
gaining a badge?
I believe there are only about 30 oral board questions. Plus or minus a couple.
But these 30 can be disguised into hundreds of different questions.
Here is a simple way to break a disguised question down. Dissect the question down to
its simplest term, one word, of what the question is really about. Once you have removed
the disguise, you can place it in one of the 30 plus oral board questions you already have
answers for. This is one of the simple tools we have to uncomplicate the oral board process.
Here is the list of the "Thirty Plus Oral Board Questions":
Thirty-Plus Basic Oral
1. Tell us about yourself.
2. Why do you want to be a firefighter? When did you decide on this career?
3. What is the job of a firefighter? Are you qualified?
4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
5. What are you bringing to the job?
6. Why do you want to work for this city or agency?
7. What do you know about his city or agency?
8. What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
9. What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
10. What would your employer say about you?
11. What are the attributes of a firefighter? What is the most important one to you?
How Would You Handle the Following Scenarios?
12. Drinking or drugs on the job? 13. Stealing on the job? 14. Conflict with another
15. Irate citizen? 16. An employee crisis at an emergency? 17. Sexual harassment?
18. Racial situation? 19. Conflicting orders at an emergency? 20. An order that could
place you in great danger or be morally wrong?
21. What do you say when you don't know an answer to a question?
22. Are you on any other hiring lists? What would you do if another city called you?
23. When can you start if we offered you the job?
24. How far do you want to go in the fire service? Where do you see yourself in 5
25. What are the quality traits of a firefighter? Which one is the most important to
26. Have you ever been in an emergency situation? Tell us what you did?
27. What word would best describes you in a positive way? A negative way?
28. How do you handle conflict?
29. Why would we select you over the other candidates?
30. Do you have anything to add?
These questions can be disguised in hundreds of different ways. It's your job to take off
the disguise and find the real question and have a "Nugget" answer to satisfy
the oral board, get your best score on the answer and cause the
board to go onto the next question.
This "Nugget" tool is one of several that can separate you from number 40 and
below on a list to between 1 and 10 where you get a shot at the badge. You'll know the
difference when the call comes in to go to the Chief's oral. It can happen quicker than
you can imagine.
One of my candidates, Ed, called that he is in the academy at Seattle. The day he thought
would never come did! Overnight he doubled his income, moved into a new house and is
loving every minute of the job he had dreamed about for years.
There are only 30 questions. What are your answers? Take the question apart, know the real
purpose of the question and deliver your "Nugget" answer. Next question please.
Get a Bonus when you
sign up for our
The oral interview is like fantasy land. It is not like the real world. Your answers in
the oral board might not be what you would do in real life. Don't fall into the trap. The
board understands the rules, you can't fool them. If you try, the
board will crank up the music and let you dance your fool head off. Don't try to
intellectualize and bring heavy logic to this process. If you do, someone, who understands
the rules in fantasy land better will get the badge. So, please follow
the yellow brick road rules in fantasy land and don't look behind the curtain.
You don't think so? Well, my Son's captain was on an oral board for five days. One
candidate got top scores. When they were finished and completing their comments and scores
this candidate said, "I'm sure glad that's over. They said yea, O.K.. He said because
their coming. They look up and said who's coming. He said the Martian's are coming.
They chuckled. He got mad. Turns out this guy was a genuine kook. But he did so well in
the oral because he lived in fantasy land and new the rules. Don't ever forget this! It's
a true story!
While you're here
Captain Bob wants to give you a 10 day FREE
test drive of selected inside secrets how to get a badge.
Learn more here
Understand that if the oral board fires up a question that sounds like drinking on the
job, it's going to be about drinking on the job. If it's a question that sounds like
taking drugs on the job, it's going to be about taking drugs on the job; It's not going to
be aspirin. If the question sounds like it's about stealing on the job, it's going to be
about stealing on the job. If they fire up a question that sounds like sexual harassment,
that's what it's going to be about, or they wouldn't bring it up.
If they fire up these questions, take off the disguise ask questions to verify what you
suspect and then take action in fantasy land. Don't be like so many candidates by starting
a soap opera.
You go in the locker room and see a fellow firefighter drinking something that looks like
alcohol. What do you do? The clone, soap opera answer would be: I would try to get him
into the day room, play cards and try to smell his breath; or I would have him go home
sick, or have another firefighter come into relieve him. These are all soap opera answers.
Don't go on this journey. They are insulting to the oral board. You will loose valuable
points here. We are intelligent beings on the other side of the table. Give us credit for
that. Don't start a soap opera.
Ask a question that would verify your suspicions and give a direct answer; not a soap
OK, now that you have seen the list of sample oral board
questions how are you going to put your answers together to make the cut to gain
your badge? If you could read just one article about how to turn
your oral board scores into a badge
check it out here
counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"
Fire "Captain Bob"
Author of Becoming A Firefighter,
Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards, and
It's Your Turn in the Hot Seat!
Ask "Captain Bob" Any
Top of Page